The History of the Pentacon Six
The Contax D & E
The Zeiss Ikon factory in Dresden responded by adding
a small-sized capital letter D (for Dresden) under the Contax logo.
In 1952 the Contax S had another change to the name on
the faceplace. Instead of just “Contax”, the name was “Contax D”,
with the D appearing after the name Contax, on the same line (known as
“Contax Big D” by collectors). The letters VEB were added under the
Zeiss Ikon logo (except for in some overseas markets, for which the VEB
was deliberately not engraved on the camera).
The Contax E
Over the course of nearly ten years, there were various improvements, indicated by slight changes of name (Contax E, Contax F, etc). In 1955, the Contax E was produced. This had an uncoupled selenium exposure meter mounted above the prism – scarcely a new idea, as the 1936 Contax III had exactly the same kind of metering system, though of course without the prism.
To go to the Bibliography, click here.
To go on to the next section, click below.
To go to the beginning of the history section, click here.
To go to introduction to the cameras, click here.
To choose other options, click below.
© TRA August 2010